This weeks recipe is a deliciously warming vegan spiced chocolate and orange self-saucing pudding. I’m SUPER happy with how this recipe turned out! It's vegan, refined sugar-free has gluten-free potential, and is quick and easy to make. Mike has given this healthy version the big tick of approval, and said he would even eat this pudding over a normal chocolate cake! Winning!
As you’ll see in the recipe, I’ve added in a little cinnamon and fresh orange zest for some added flavour.
Enjoy the recipe and let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.
- 90g coconut oil (or butter)
- ¾ cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1½ cups spelt flour or plain flour (or gluten-free flour for GF option)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup raw cacao or cocoa powder (if using cocoa, I like to use dark dutch processed cocoa for a rich chocolate flavour)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar or raw sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs raw cacao or cocoa powder (if using cocoa, I like to use dark dutch processed cocoa for a rich chocolate flavour)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar or raw sugar)
- Juice of ½ orange
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F (fan forced).
- Melt the coconut oil and coconut milk in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Next add the coconut sugar, vanilla and orange zest and pour into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Sift in the flour, cacao, baking powder, and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a baking dish (roughly 6-8 cup capacity).
- Next combine the coconut sugar, cacao, orange juice, coconut milk and boiling water, and stir until the coconut sugar has dissolved.
- Carefully pour the hot liquid over the pudding batter. I like to pour the liquid over the back of a spoon so it spreads evenly and doesn’t create a big hole in the centre of the pudding.
- Bake the pudding for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Dust the pudding with extra cacao and serve warm with your favourite icecream, cream or yoghurt. YUM!