This week’s new recipe is a deliciously smooth pumpkin turmeric and ginger soup. It’s one of my favourite soup recipes at the moment, especially now that we’ve just hit winter here in Australia, and has a ‘secret’ ingredient that makes it stand out.
I feel as though everyone has their own little secret ingredient for the perfect homemade pumpkin soup. For me, I love to add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter to bring out the nuttiness of the pumpkin. I also like to sauté the vegetables and spices in a couple of tablespoons of ghee before adding the stock and water. It gives a lovely flavour to the soup and compliments the earthy fresh ginger and turmeric. YUM!
Do you have a ‘secret’ homemade soup ingredient?
Enjoy the recipe and let me know if you have any questions.
- 2 tbs ghee (coconut oil for vegan option)
- 1 large brown onion
- 2cm piece fresh turmeric, finely chopped -OR- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 1.2 kilos Japanese pumpkin (kabocha squash), peeled & roughly chopped (or pumpkin of your choice)
- 5 large carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1-2 tbs peanut butter
- 1-litre vegetable stock
- 1-litre boiling water
- Plain yoghurt
- Fresh herbs - sage, or chives, etc
- Something crunchy - roasted walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or hazelnuts, etc
- Place a large deep pot over medium heat, add the ghee and melt.
- Add the onion, turmeric, ginger, garlic and chili flakes to the pot with the ghee.
- Next, add the chopped carrot and pumpkin into the pot with the onion mixture, and saute for 5-10 minutes until the pumpkin and carrots begin to soften and caramelise on the edges.
- Add the peanut butter and mix well.
- Add the stock and boiling water, ensuring the pumpkin and carrot are completely covered. If not, add a little more water.
- Cook on medium/low heat for 30 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin and carrot are soft, blend the soup with a handheld stab mixer until smooth.
- Serve with toppings of your choice or simply on it’s own. Delicious!