'Ugly delicious' are the perfect words to describe this ridiculously easy side salad recipe. It's a cos, parmesan, and balsamic shredded salad.
The key to its flavour is adding lots of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic, and salt to the shredded lettuce and coating it thoroughly until it's packed full of flavour. It's best to judge the measurements by 'feel and taste' rather than exact measurements.
This salad is perfect for a BBQ or alongside pizza or pasta and is best served immediately after assembly.
Enjoy the recipe and as always please let me know if you have any questions.
- 1-2 small cos lettuce hearts -OR- 1 small iceberg, cos, or romaine lettuce
- Roughly 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Roughly 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (an aged balsamic vinegar is best for flavour)
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Parmigiano-Reggiano -OR- Grana Padano (for grating)
It's best to judge this salads measurements by 'feel and taste' rather than exact measurements.
- Finely shred the lettuce and arrange onto a serving plate.
- Drizzle over roughly 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
- Next, add some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Toss and combine together with your hands.
- Taste the lettuce and ensure it's fully coated in the dressing and is properly seasoned. Add more balsamic vinegar or salt and pepper if needed. You want a nice punchy flavour.
- Using a superfine grater, grate the Parmigiano-Reggiano over the dressed lettuce until it's completely covered. We want soft ‘cloud-like’ cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*This salad is best served immediately after assembly.