This week's new recipe are these sweet potato and pear spiced muffins. They are grain, dairy and refined sugar-free, and also super delicious! Almost like a cross between a carrot cake and banana cake. Yum! I made two batches of them this week and we've already eaten them all - well, mainly my husband Mike. ☺
You can enjoy the muffins as they are, or top with a dollop of thick coconut or greek yoghurt, some crushed walnuts, pure maple syrup and fresh oregano leaves.
Enjoy the recipe and please let me know if you have any questions.
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar - or raw sugar or honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbs vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 270g raw sweet potato, grated
- 1 large 250g pear, grated
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1½ cups almond meal
- ¾ cup light buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped - or pepitas or pecans
- ¾ cup dates, roughly chopped - or ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup thick cultured coconut yoghurt or thick greek yoghurt
- Thick coconut or greek yoghurt or labne
- Dried pear or apple slices
- Crushed walnuts
- Pure maple syrup
- Fresh oregano leaves and flowers
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 355F.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil and coconut sugar until combined.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and cinnamon to the olive oil and sugar mixture, and whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add the grated sweet potato, pear, and mashed banana and stir to combine.
- Next, fold in the almond meal, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, dates, and walnuts.
- Lastly, fold in the yoghurt.
- Place large patty pan cases into a 12 hole muffin pan.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin pans.
- Bake at 180C / 355F for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Enjoy them as they are or top with a dollop of thick coconut or greek yoghurt, some crushed walnuts, pure maple and fresh oregano leaves. Enjoy! x