I have baked many brownies over the years, but for this week's new post I wanted to create a “healthy” brownie recipe that is still rich, decadent, fudgy, and tastes delicious! Well guys, I think I’ve done it - and I’ve even used three different vegetables; sweet potato, zucchini, and beetroot. Now, you’ll have to trust me on the veggies - they give the brownie a delicious fudgy texture, and also, I just love to add in extra vegetables where I can.
I grate the veggies using a box grater as I personally like the texture of the grated veggies inside the brownie, but if you’re after a smoother texture (or just want to hide the fact that there are veggies inside) simply use a finer grater or chop the grated veggies finer. I tested both versions and they worked perfectly!
I have also used a mix of raw cacao powder and a dark dutch processed cooking cocoa. The dark dutch processed cocoa is important to use as it adds the rich chocolate flavour that using only raw cacao powder won’t give you.
I like to serve the brownies cold with a dusting of cocoa powder, but if you’re feeling decedent the chocolate ganache is a delicious addition.
You can store these brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for around a week. They will also freeze well.
Hope you all enjoy the recipe and please let me know if you have any questions.
- 130g coconut oil, softened or melted & cooled
- 2 cups coconut sugar -OR- 1½ cups if don’t mind it less sweet
- 1 tbs vanilla paste or extract
- 2 large eggs
- 200g raw sweet potato, finely grated
- 150g raw zucchini, finely grated
- 100g raw beetroot, finely grated
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup dark & rich dutch processed cocoa powder
- ¾ cup thick cultured coconut yoghurt -OR- thick greek yoghurt
- Extra cocoa powder for dusting
Chocolate Ganache (optional)
- 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
- Veggie chips
- Cacao nibs
- Freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Whisk the coconut oil and sugar until combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the grated veggies and fold through.
- Next, add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold through the yoghurt.
- Line a 20cm brownie pan with baking paper.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the pan smoothing it out with a spatula or spoon.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, remove the brownie from the pan, cut into pieces, and dust with cocoa powder and top with desired toppings -OR- top with the ganache and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set - then cut into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy! x
Chocolate Ganache (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and melt over low heat.