This week's new recipe is deliciously spiced meatballs with pearl (Israeli) couscous, a fresh zucchini roasted almond salad, and a sweet and creamy honeyed yoghurt.
This dish makes the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner. You could also serve each element in individual bowls as a 'share style dinner for guests to build their own plate. Flatbreads warm from the oven would also make a delicious addition to this meal, especially if you're entertaining guests.
Hope you all love this one! Please let me know if you have any questions.
- 500g grass-fed beef mince
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- A few generous cracks of black pepper
- Pinch chili flakes, to your taste
- 1 cup pearl (Israeli) couscous, dry
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or finely grated
- 1½ cups beef or vegetable stock
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- ¼ cup sultanas
- Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh Zucchini & Roasted Almond Salad
- 1 large zucchini, roughly grated
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped (you could also use toasted slivered almonds)
- 1 cup thick unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F (fan forced).
In a medium bowl add the beef mince, ground cumin, ground cardamom, salt, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
Using your hands mix the spices through the mince completely.
Form the mince into tbs sized balls. There should be roughly 20.
Now place a large saucepan onto medium to high heat.
Once the pan is hot add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and the meatballs.
Sear on high heat until browned. This will take roughly 4 minutes.
Remove the balls from the pan and place them into a heatproof bowl.
Place the bowl into the oven to finish cooking for 15 minutes.
While the meatballs are cooking let's prepare the remaining elements.
- Using paper towel remove any excess oil from the pan you just used.
Add a sprinkling of chili flakes to your taste.
Add the pearl couscous and crushed garlic and sauté for roughly 30 seconds.
Add the stock and give the mixture a good stir.
Place the lid on top of the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and add the baby spinach and sultanas then stir to combine.
Place the lid back on top and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Grate the zucchini into a medium-sized bowl.
Add the finely chopped mint and basil.
Add the roughly chopped almonds, the lemon zest, and juice.
Add some salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl mix the yoghurt, cumin, and honey.
- After 15 minutes remove the meatballs from the oven and also remove the lid from the couscous.
If you're serving this dish individually divide the couscous, meatballs, and salad into 4 serving bowls.
Dollop with the honeyed yoghurt and top with orange zest and fresh mint leaves.
To serve this in the pan, add the meatballs directly to the couscous, the salad alongside, and top with the yoghurt, orange zest and fresh mint leaves.