Yes, you did read correctly. Vegan salted caramel! I was VERY excited when I created this lush vegan caramel recipe. It combines two of my favourite things: coconut and caramel. This is a healthier alternative to the salted caramel recipe found with the Spiced Poached Pears. I served this recipe to my husband Mike and he couldn’t tell the difference. Yes!
There is a subtle coconut flavour to this caramel recipe, but being a massive coconut fan, I am totally fine with that! I usually use coconut yoghurt as I find the yoghurt thickens the sauce quicker than coconut cream. Coconut cream still works well, but a little more stirring is required.
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt (or coconut cream)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add the coconut sugar, coconut oil and coconut yoghurt into a small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the caramel becomes thick and coats the back of the spoon.
- Take the caramel off the heat and stir through the salt.
- I like to serve this with spiced poached pears.